Saint Paul Urban Tennis 2020 Youth Programming Update
Registration is open NOW for the following SPUT 2020 Summer Program options:
PHASE 1: ‘Tennis Where You Are’ Remote Lessons
Click HERE to learn more about “Tennis Where You Are”, a 6-week remote curriculum that can be completed from any location and is completely FREE. Participate at any pace you like– it will be free and online forever.
PHASE 2: In-Person Youth Lessons
Beginning Monday, June 29, SPUT will offer in-person lessons in two-week blocks for ages 5-18. Strict safety measures will be followed. Lessons will be offered from 9:00am to 12:00pm at Harding, Como, Highland, Washington Tech and Central high schools, and at Edgcumbe Park. Cost is $60 for two weeks.
Junior Team Tennis
Beginning July 6, Junior Team Tennis will be offered for ages 12-18 from 2:00 to 4:00pm, Monday-Thursday, at Central, Como, Harding, & Highland high schools. To ensure safety, there will be no traveling, site teams will play against each other, and there will be a maximum of 14 players at each site (not to exceed 2 players per court). Cost is $80 for a two-week session.
PHASE 3: SPUT Camps
Depending on current safety conditions and requirements, SPUT will open Small Group Camps from July 27 through the end of August. Stay tuned to our website for details in mid-July.
A Special Treat You Won’t Want to Miss: SPUT’s Talent Showcase Is Saturday, June 27
Are you missing concerts, coffeehouses, songfests, etc. during this unique season? Enjoy the first ever virtual SPUT Talent Showcase fundraiser on Saturday, June 27. We’ll feature the musical talents of SPUT high school and college student performers, along with headliners Kurt Jorgensen and Brianna Tagg of The Jorgensens, a popular local band known for its mix of rock and roll, jazz, blues, and rockabilly.
Acts will be live streamed via Facebook Live, YouTube and Instagram beginning at 7:00 PM. Donations may be made during the performances. Funds will be used for program scholarships for kids, and to provide jobs for 80+ high school students in 2020-21. Join us from the comfort of your home, at lakeside, or wherever you are for a delightful evening of music and merriment!
SPUT SPIRIT Pride: Congratulations to Our Graduating Seniors!
Saint Paul Urban Tennis cannot be more proud of all of the 2020 high school graduates who have participated with SPUT as coaches and members of our Warrior Leadership Academy, Youth Council and Employment PLUS program. Several SPUT seniors were highlighted in our last newsletter, and we’d like to highlight the college destinations of these talented achievers as well:
- Amanye Reynolds: Macalester College
- Rezan Ahmed: University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- Vilai Her: Saint Paul College
- Chue Fue Xiong: St. Paul College
- Dillon Vue: St. Olaf College
- Gao Sheng Thao: St. Olaf College
- Geng Chang: University of Minnesota- Twin Cities
- Hunter Lo: St. John’s University
- Mouachee Thao: University of Minnesota- Twin Cities
- Ophat Xiong: Hamline University
- Neomiah Two-Bears: Luther College
- Nick Brown: Century College
- Robert Lee: St. Cloud State University
- Souana Her: Hamline University
- Tong Lee: Saint Paul College
- Tou Yang: University of Minnesota- Twin Cities
- Johan Lopez Ortega: University of Minnesota—Duluth
SPUT Youth Entrepreneurship Projects Hit the Marketplace Soon
Warrior Leadership Academy high school youth have spent many weeks learning entrepreneurship skills while designing SPUT products to sell in the new SPUT Store, an online retail space they created together. Featured merchandise includes:
- SPUT Apparel – designs for SPUT t-shirts, sweatshirts and sweatpants
- SPUT SPIRIT Candles – custom scents, colors and packaging for unique SPUT Spiral Candles
Merchandise sales will support SPUT’s tennis, education, service, and employment programs for youth. Our Warrior Leadership Academy entrepreneurs will earn a sales commission and donate a portion to a local cause. Sales will begin soon; stay tuned for details about how to access the online SPUT store.