2020 Summer Program Cancelled—SPUT Offers Virtual ‘Tennis Where You Are’
Saint Paul Urban Tennis is cancelling our regular 2020 Summer Program. However, alternative late summer programming may be possible, depending on direction from the City of Saint Paul and Covid 19 developments. In the meantime, SPUT will offer a remote program called “Tennis Where You Are.” Lessons will be offered June 15-July 23, Monday-Thursday, through YouTube and Google Classroom. Kids and families can learn tennis drills, games and activities that can be done in the driveway, on the street, in an open parking lot—anywhere! Cost is FREE but donations are accepted so we can provide equipment and activity guides (if technology is an obstacle). Registration will be coming soon—stay tuned on email, Facebook and Instagram!
Support SPUT Youth Employment: GiveAtHomeMN is May 1-8
GiveAtHomeMN on May 1-8 is an online fundraiser at GiveMN.org to support nonprofits and schools across Minnesota during this unprecedented time. Your gift to Saint Paul Urban Tennis will help us continue to employ high school students (with SPUT projects from home for now) and provide scholarships for youth in our Warrior Leadership Academy and fall and winter tennis programs.
Please consider giving small donations early and often, to put SPUT in the running for additional prizes:
- $250 Hourly Golden Tickets will be awarded for one randomly-drawn donation, every hour, each day, from May 1-8. (Sponsored by Bush Foundation)
- $2,500 Daily Golden Tickets will be awarded for one randomly-drawn donation at the end of each day from May 1-8. (sponsored by U.S. Bank)
Fall College Decisions: Congratulations SPUT Employment PLUS Students!
Our Employment PLUS high school youth continue to work on SPUT projects from home—creating virtual tennis lessons for families, interviewing/videotaping people in various careers for our Warrior Leadership Academy, translating SPUT’s print materials into different languages and more. Many Employment PLUS high school seniors have made college decisions for the fall:
- Mai Xee Lee will attend Stanford University on an NAFEPA scholarship and is waiting to hear about other awards
- Tania Acevedo Garcia and Htoo Paw received Act Six Scholarships to Bethel University (presented by Urban Ventures to 45 of the Twin Cities’ most promising urban leaders)
- Ethan Yang will attend Century College
- Liliana Vang will attend Hamline University on a Wallin Education Partners Scholarship (and play tennis!)
- John Yang will attend Saint Paul College
- Jerusalum Thao will attend St. Olaf College (and play tennis!)
The SPUT staff is very proud of our Employment PLUS team—more college decisions to come!
SPUT is Seeking Talent of All Kinds for a Fun, Virtual Fundraiser
If Jimmy Kimmel can host performers from his home through the wonders of technology, so can Saint Paul Urban Tennis! SPUT is looking for all kinds of talent to delight audiences on a virtual “Talent Night” to raise funds for SPUT youth employment and program scholarships. If you like to sing, play an instrument, dance, lip sync, juggle, tell jokes or more—we need your talent! To learn more, contact Tom Boulay at firstname.lastname@example.org.